Down memory lane - Indian Women Scientists' Association - Working women hostel, Vashi (Navi Mumbai)

This one is dedicated to the pure hearts of Indian women scientists, trustees, and lifelong friends, whom i met here. 


Back in 2013 when i arrived in Mumbai to work, little did i know, that i was about to create some of the most amazing memories. I was carrying some childhood bittersweet memories already - Bombay - in those times. I had taken a huge leap of faith, heralding my career journey to become an independent woman (just like any other woman!). A friend suggested me this hostel for two reasons, one, it had really good reviews, secondly, it was close to work. Btw, "close" in Mumbai terms. :)

I got lucky to get admission here considering its popularity and limited availability. It's a top choice for working women in Mumbai. I still remember calling it home not, hostel. I would say this in my office, "i am done for the day and i am going home". My team used to get confused with the word, "Home". Rarely do people call their hostel, a home. IWSA hostel was and it still is an exception. You can explore its amazing history here: source.

Trivia: In 1989, the naming ceremony was performed by much-revered late. Mother Teresa! along with the Sheriff of Bombay (source). Of course, i didn't know about this during my admission process. 

Once the formalities were over, i picked up my huge bag to settle down in a twin-sharing (yes! it took some 2-3 months before i got my single room) room on the second floor. Climbed some 4-5 steps and said this to me, Congratulations Vidhika! your megacity struggles begin here. That's okay i am going to take my own time, step by step, taking pauses to breathe. Just a moment later, a superwoman (aka Anjali) arrives...."Do you need help with your bag?", she asked politely yet enthusiastically, as if she felt the struggle and was laughing in her head (like real friends do!) Before i could say yes, she helped me pick up the bag. She must have just seen my face and interpret the answer herself :D. She turned out to be my numero Uno friend from IWSA. We still reminisce about this moment. I introduced myself and her to my then, roommate, who turned out yet another sweet person. She was a south-Indian girl from Kerala and introduced me to some cool south-Indian music. Not only that, she taught me a bit of Malayali (language spoken in Kerala) too. What surprised me was, how quickly we became friends! That's the beauty of this place. It welcomes women from all across India without any sort of bias. 

After a few months, our friend circle kept growing via mutual connections. Although, we had different career streams, work timings, and even workplaces (some used to work in Andheri, Vile Parle, and Dadar! Far!!!); IWSA was our home away from home in the true sense. The very foundation of our friendship and no words will be enough to thank the amazing vision with which it was founded. 

Alright! that was some serious talk. I understand. Let me share a few picture moments i truly cherish! 

Somehow managed a rare escape from Office at 6 pm!! Evening tea and snacks with Devanshi, Poonam and Prachi!
Morning rush time, Anjali (in blue salwar) stopping Devanshi for a picture. Poonam in the background, complaining, Devanshi chal!! train chhuth jayegi (hurry!! we'll miss our train)!!

My dinner saved (thanks to these friends) post 10 pm. My usual return was 10:30 pm. Literally, not the same plate. Who takes a picture of food while starving? Btw, it's Devanshi's food plate. She used to make a letter M. Her nickname (Manu) Initial. Smart! 

My single-room on the First floor. Cleaned to near perfection for just once in 1.10 years duration :D

Meet Rani, a friendly dog from the neighborhood.  
She used to greet us on our way to work. 

Money plant, we used to adorn our rooms with. Every new leaf was an indication of our care.

These are just a few memories to evoke nostalgia. There are far more funny ones - Classified, of course! :) 

Special mention to Neha, Purva (my webMD!) and Asifa - my first-floor pals. I shared a brief time with them and Purva has some of the most hilarious stories to tell. Btw, Asifa won the best-decorated room award, every single year till her tenure was up. Her room was right opposite to mine and i never dared to get a peek into her room. :D




Comments

  1. This was my first experience in a hostel. And unfortunately my last. All the people I met had not a single mean bone in their body. Little did I know that in few months I got a family of 15 people who would care for me just the way I care for them. I would look forward to go back after work. I miss the place. It brought discipline, peace and good friendship into my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww!! Ditto!! Thank you for all the wonderful memories. Can't wait for our reunion! Be prepared for many more stories :D

      Delete
  2. Iwsa hostel was home away from home for all if us... golden and most mesmerizing days of our lives which taught us meaning and importance of friendship in our life..kash hum time rewind karke us jaga wapas ja sakte jaga se humne jingadi jina sikha... missing all...let's meet soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prachi!!! Thank you so much for taking time out (being a new mom is super hectic!) and your lovely comment. Haan yaar time machine chaiye isiliye :D. Lots of love to the little one and will try my best to visit you in Mumbai soon :)

      Delete
  3. Most amazing days of my life spent with you all...after reading your blog memories flash back in my mind....am so lucky that I met with u all... learnt so much about life , meaning of friendship ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poonam!!! Ditto!!! Really miss those days :). Puchisss and hugs your way ^_^

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts